Understanding the Bridging Effect
When children are born, they are primarily right brained. Bridging takes place when a child’s brain links to the left hemisphere.” You can tell that your child’s brain has “bridged” when he is speaking full sentences, using logic, beginning to read, write, count and understand time. Before “bridging” happens, anything is possible! Children in the right-brain mode know no limits. Incidentally, this holds true for brain-injured children and adults whose development has been delayed. We encourage parents to take heart, and see this as an extended learning opportunity.
WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY
While bridging is taking place, there are various windows of opportunity that you can take advantage of. See the image below
|SKILL||WINDOW OF LEARNING OPPORTUNITY|
|Emotional Intelligence||3 months – 3 years|
|Mathematics||1 month – 4 years|
|Vocabulary||8 months – 6 years|
|Motor development||2 months – 8 years|
|Language||1 month – 9 years|
|Instrumental Music||3.5 years – 10 years|
|Genius Activator||5 years – 12 years|
SOME TWO THINGS YOU CAN DO TO ENHANCE YOUR CHILD’S BRAIN PERFORMANCE
- BRAIN GYM – Brain Gym exercises comprises very easy body movements which have been designed to coax the two hemispheres of the brain to work in synchronization. During the session, we took you through some 3 Brain gym exercises. We shall describe below
|BRAIN GYM DESCRIPTION||IMAGE|
|1.||Nose Ear Cross
Place right hand on your nose and pass your left hand over your right hand and touch your right ear.Switch so that you have your left hand on your nose and the right had on the left ear.Keep switching and increasing the speed as you switch for about 2 minutes.
|2.||Rabbit and Gun
Point the first and middle fingers of your right hand with your palm facing away from you
Lift the Thumb and first finger of your left hand with the palm facing youSwitch such that you have First and Middle finger of your left hand up with palm facing away from you and you have the thump and first finger of your right hand up with palm facing youKeep switching and increasing the speed for about 2 minutes
|3.||Thumb and Pinky Finger.
Stick out your right hand thumb and your left hand pinky.
Switch such so that you stick out your left hand thumb and right hand pinky
Keep switching for 2 minutes.
- IMAGE STREAMING This involves describing a visual image out loud in detail. This synchronizes several parts of the brain which would not normally happen.The aim is to develop connections between the two hemispheres of the brain via the corpus collosum, which is done by connecting right brain activity and left brain activity, such that the hemispheres communicate. After doing this training for 30 days a child is able to record higher IQ ratings. Creativity also improves by 25%.
- Find a comfortable place where you can sit down and relax for a while. Listening to brain wave music is helpful (google on you tube).
- Close your eyes and after a while, just try to see an image in your mind.
- Describe this image out loud in present tense with all your senses involved, as fast as possible without any judgement. Imagine you are describing it to another person, and you want the person to see, feel and experience exactly what you see, feel and experience.
- In the beginning, use a tape recorder for the description. It helps you to stay focused.
- Try to describe as many details of the image as you possibly can. This will lead to better clarity. Don’t stop describing.
- Continue for 15-20 minutes.
- Once you’re done, play the imaginary in your head once more or use the tape recorder to replay the session and visualize it once more. Once you have mastered these, you will see subtle but growing changes in your child’s thought process and genius ability.